Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Carduelis tristis, The American Goldfinch


American Goldfinch
How to identify: It's really bright yellow, with black wings and a black spot on its head. It's about 4-5 inches long. In the winter it's a dull greenish brown color. Also, the females are duller without the black spot on the head. There's not much point in learning what females and winter goldfinches look like because it's boring and no one will care.

If you want the most bang for your buck, look no further than the American Goldfinch. It has an abundance of excellent qualities which perfectly suit the needs of the dilettante naturalist. First of all, it is incredibly yellow; when in the sun, almost blindingly so. Secondly, it is common. Take a stroll around the block, and chances are you will encounter a goldfinch. Most importantly, despite these two characteristics, a good number of people have absolutely no clue that goldfinches exist.

Hard to believe, yes, but I assure you, it's true.

I first discovered the goldfinch when I was eight years old. My parents sent me to nature camp where I learned to identify local wildlife, and quickly became cognizant of the fact that suburbia was teeming with these cheerfully painted little organisms. Even better, I learned that my mother was unaware of their presence, and frankly prone to disbelieve my claims that a bright yellow bird with black wings inhabited these regions (This was not an unjustified disposition, for as I child was was somewhat given to exaggeration if not fabrication). But ha! imagine my triumph when able to point out a male of the species dallying on a wildflower just yards away from where our station wagon idled at an intersection. And this only moments after she rolled her eyes at my narrative of the day's ornithological sightings!

Please do not think that ignorance of this charming finch is limited to my mother. Over the years I discovered that about fifty-five to sixty percent of the population goes through life blissfully unconcerned with finches, bright yellow or otherwise. Armed with a tiny bit of knowledge one can be the bearer of good news, introducing scores of impressed friends to the pleasures of the goldfinch. It is as if over half the population has not only never watched a sunset, but also doesn't even know this whole sunset watching business is an option.

So, when reasonably sure that an acquaintance possesses little or no knowledge of birds, never hesitate to point out this finch saying, "oh look, there's a goldfinch." Chances are your companion will be duly impressed. If your friend has any more than a passing knowledge of birds, don't worry, all is not lost. You can still carry the day by adding something along the lines of "I say, isn't it peculiar that the Latin name implies 'sad thistle eater.' With that coloration I can think of few birds who seem more cheerful!"

This should clinch the deal. If not it's time to cut your losses. Fret not, some people simply can't be impressed by either a knowledge of wildlife, or ancient languages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment